PLAZA DE ARMAS
It is one of the largest plazas in the country and was the scene of the fall of the Inca Empire. Here stands a carved stone fountain which dates from the early eighteenth century, placed in the same place where the Inca Atahualpa was executed. All around are the Cathedral, the Church of San Francisco, the Municipality and beautiful mansions of colonial buildings, that make this city the most influential Spanish than any other city in Peru.
Mother Church initially called Santa Catalina. It was the royal decree of December 26, 1665 that was ordered to establish a parish in Spanish in this city, built in the old House of Justice. In 1682 the church of Santa Catalina would be elevated to the rank of Cathedral. It looks a beautiful facade of carved volcanic stone for the art plateresque. Harmoniously combining columns, cornices and niches, all elaborately carved, is one of the most prominent of the Peruvian Baroque. With five bells distributed lateral towers that are half built inside are of great attraction ships with images of the Virgen del Carmen, Santa Rosa de Lima and San Martin de Porres, highlighting the high altar and pulpit polychrome carvings wood and covered with gold leaf, but is also very valuable furniture and paintings.
CHURCH OF SAN FRANCISCO
Originally called "San Antonio". This church of the Franciscan order, is one of the first temples built by the Spanish and is located opposite the Plaza de Armas. Built in 1699 with carved stones and with stones from the Cerro Santa Apolonia. His style is baroque plateresque and his beautiful carved stone facade. It stresses inside the altars with beautiful pictures. In 1952 they discovered under the altar, some catacombs where lay the remains of members of the Franciscan Order of the Indian nobility. It has a convent, with the Museum of Religious Art and the Shrine of Our Lady of Sorrows, the most venerated statue of the town.
CHURCH OF NATIVITY
Built in the eighteenth century, is located one block from the Plaza de Armas. Style temple is the most beautiful baroque city and perhaps throughout the country, is characterized by its beautiful façade carefully carved stone arches, its columns, arches, statues and unfinished towers. It is stressed within its dome carved polychrome and carved in stone throughout. Ensemble that includes the church, the Medical Museum (former Hospital for Boys) and Archaeological and Ethnographic Museum (former Women's Hospital), located on each side of the temple at the time were the only hospitals in the area until the construction of Hospital Regional in the 40s. Today is the whole local branch of the National Institute of Culture in Cajamarca (INC).
Located near the Plaza de Armas, is the only vestige that remains remarkable Inca architecture in the city and a symbol of the fusion between two cultures, the Inca and Spanish, the first meaning of objects whose value was represented by time that certain individuals had engaged in conclusion, and the second, which is dazzled by precious metals (especially gold and silver) that found in that empire. Built of stone with walls slightly inclined to give the characteristic trapezoidal Inca constructions. Captured the Inca emperor Atahualpa by the Spanish, offered to Francisco Pizarro and his men, filling the room to where her hand reached once gold and silver and precious stones twice in exchange for his freedom, enshrined as the highest ransom history.
Cerro Santa Apolonia
Formerly called in Quechua Rumi Tiana (seat of stone), is a superb natural lookout point overlooking the city and the valley of Cajamarca. Finding there the "Silla del Inca" vestige of pre-Hispanic construction formed by a boulder out of the hill itself, which was carved carefully. Notable among the stone stairs of 300 steps and gardens, a small white chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Fatima, which is the most striking of all, being able to watch it from the Plaza de Armas. The way to reach the top is up the stairs or it may be in order.